Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dean Shareski Obvious Ideas

On Tuesday January 16, 2013 Dean Shareski was skyped into our classroom to talk about his work and ideas on ICT literacy. I have heard Dean speak before in one of my methods courses. He is a very engaging speaker and you can tell he has a lot of passion for what he does. As an introduction Dean gave his statistics on how many tweets he has made and blog postings. This was an incredible amount of postings and tweets. He even said he will read all of his former students blogs and try and make comments. I can't imagine the amount of time Dean spends online and the amount of typing he does each day.

Dean started blogging in 2005 and an important thing he learned was when people post it creates magic that transfers on to other people who read it. This started me thinking because I feel like my ideas aren't blog worthy or people will judge them. However, he helped me understand that an obvious idea to me may not be obvious to someone else. I shouldn't be afraid to share my ideas because it may end up helping someone else who never looked at it in that way. Therefore, my goal in this course is to post my ideas and see the comments on the post as positive feedback.

I really enjoyed Dean's videos and visual aids during his presentation. I feel like pictures, videos, and quotes really help create a better understanding. One quote that I liked was "We're all grade fours on a playground". This quote meant that technology and ICT literacy is still very new to us, there are lots of things we need to explore. I am still exploring all the things I can do with my Mac Book and I have had it for 2 years.

Sharing information and helping educators and students become media literate is a major goal in today's education. Dean said that even if a students can read and write it doesn't make them literate. Technology is a major part of our society and today's students are constantly using technology to communicate. That is why as educators we need to learn how to use media well so we can teach students to do the same. One way I am learning how to use media well is through this course and the guest speakers that come to share their ideas.

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper" - Star Trek

8 comments:

  1. Oh, and I really like the James Bond and Star Trek references!! And that ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok so I added another comment and it deleted my first one, so I will repeat it. I agree with the grade 4s on a playground comment. Technology is always changing, and it'll be so that we will always feel like we are in grade 4, forever! But that's ok right? Hopefully the comment saves this time.

      Delete
    2. Thank you I am a big James Bond fan and Trekkie.

      Delete
    3. I think it is awesome that technology will always change but it's like the iPhone. A new one will always come out and something will always be better. So I find it hard finding a balance.

      Delete
    4. Certainly is alright to be like a grade 4 - especially keeping the spirit of fun and curiosity that kids have.

      Delete
  2. I agree that Dean's reference to technology being so new was an important part of his presentation. I think it is important for those of us that are very new to technology to hear from someone that seems so skilled that he still has lots to learn. It is reassuring to know that we are not alone in our learning process and that we should not feel discouraged, but rather curious and keep exploring and learning a little more each day.
    I also agree with you that finding a balance is hard. Every time I think I have some little thing figured out, something changes and I have to relearn it. . . feeling behind in technology once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your approach of seeking feedback on ideas! It is nice to think that technology gives us all the opportunity to "bounce" ideas off each other and collaborate on developing great, useful lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping up with technology is a great metaphor for being a life long learner. It's not about knowing it all, but rather about always being willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete