Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I am Connected Today


This is my PLN and how I am connected. I am sure there is more ways I am connected but for now this is how I am connected. 

On Tuesday January 23 Alec Couros was skyped into my class to talk about the digital age and ways to use technology in the classroom. He is an excellent presenter and it was really cool that he was skyped in through Adobe. Through this program we could log on and chat with him during his presentation. 

Alec talked about the new possibilities that technology is creating and ways we can remix, connect to learning, and activate the students. He talked about how memes can be used to convey a powerful message or help students understand difficult concepts. I never really thought of memes as a tool for learning. I thought of it as a tool for humor. Memes take a picture and add a comment to the picture. 

Here are some of my favorite education based memes
Picture Link

Picture Link

Picture Link

Picture Link

Picture Link
Picture Link

I was really intrigued by the fact that a 9 yr old creating a lot of change by blogging. Alec referred to this as activism in blogging. She created so much change just by blogging. I want to do the same but what I have learned in this class is a change can be just one person. Therefore, if I blog my ideas and change on person's view I have created a change.

One quote that stuck with me during Alec's presentation was, Confucius's once said, "When you breathe, you inspire, and when you do not breathe, you expire." This was great because it made me think of blogging and my obvious ideas. That if I don't share my obvious ideas I have no way to inspire change.


Sincerely,
Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"- Star Trek


2 comments:

  1. So true about sharing obvious ideas and not inspiring change if you don't share. I loved the memes! I too thought the 9 year old blog story was pretty interesting, I would have never thought at 9 that I could inspire change. But there is a world of possibility! I also really like your PLN and how you are connected! What did you use to make your web?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your memes. That look on Mr. Bean's face is priceless! I followed the unhelpful high school teacher link and found this one too. (http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/353u99/) Memes can be a great way to get kids to make social commentary or explain what they've been learning in a creative and humorous way. I've started a meme site, edumeme.cheezburger.com, where I'm going to collect memes I make as well as ones I find and want to use in class.

    ReplyDelete