Saturday, January 19, 2013

PLN


PLN
A PLN is a Professional Learning Network which allows people to be connected. This is great for education because we have information, resources, ideas, lesson plans and much more at our finger tips. I love searching the web for lesson plan ideas, activities, labs and assessment tools. The PLN has helped me grow as a teacher and enhanced student learning.

My goal is for every 3 things I find online I want to post 1 of my ideas. This way I am contributing to the PLN and maybe someone will be able to use my ideas to better enhance their teaching. So to start my contribution here are lists of websites that I like to use and hopefully you will to
Name of Website
URL
Fxn
Khan Academy

Show great how to lectures for many different math and science subjects
BIODIDAC

Great images for bacteria/ fungi etc
Brain Pop

Great animated video clips/ quizzes/ labs etc
U of M CRYSTAL

Great PowerPoint and lesson ideas
Crocus Plains Biology

Great PowerPoint/ labs
Biology Junction

Great PowerPoint/ Labs/ Lesson Plans
Wordle

Creates word splashes
Tagxedo

Creates word splashes also able to create your own shapes (ex: faces/images)
Animoto

Creates picture slideshows
Inspiration
A program
Mind mapping
Cybrbary Man

List of educational websites for teachers
Bubbl.us

Creates mind maps
Mind Mister

Creates mind maps
This is just the start of my list please fill out more on the chart
 
Help Please!
 I have this idea for a lab in Biology 30S but I need help figuring out the details. I want to create a lab called the hunger games. I would split the class up into teams and they would face off with one another in a digestion/ nutrition based challenge. The students would have to complete tasks as team such as; label the digestive system/ show how long the sm intestine is with materials in the room/ pick the best fast food dish/ etc. There would be a point system for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the events. If there was a tie they would have to complete a plank test, burpee challenge, cracker challenge (with 3 crackers in your mouth complete the process of digestion from the mouth). So my question on forming this lab is will it help enhance student learning and how do I get everyone to participate? Also does this sound like a good idea or am I setting myself up for an unsuccessful lab?

Thank you
Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"- Star Trek

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jen, I hope you get some input. I think it has great potential. It can offer fun and learning. I hope you share the final plan as it gets developed. THere are a few of you in the class with this teachable - maybe you can develop it together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if they had to make a living model of the digestive system out of themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen! Thanks for the chart with all of the useful sites- I hope it's alright that I copy your idea on my own blog! I want to get into the habit of sharing more as well!

    ReplyDelete