Sunday, January 13, 2013

John Evans- Guest Speaker 01/10/13

I loved John Evans presentation last Thursday. Unfortunately, I was unable to stay for the whole presentation. For the part I was there I could tell he has a lot of passion for what he does. Technology has become an integral part of our society. I don't think I would be able to go a day without my cell phone or two days without using the internet. Today's student is much different than a student from three to four years ago. The use of technology has become a way to share ideas, create, inspire and cultivate new ways of thinking.

John shared many websites that will be helpful in my future career as a teacher. I am a big believer in using iPads in the classroom. Scoop it! is a great place to search ideas, solve problems and have discussions on the use of iPads for education.

Literacy with ICT is a new wave of thinking that fits with today's students. John shared many sites that help educators better understand what literacy with ICT means. Wiki pages, Maple, Education blogs, and Diigo are great ways to share ideas on how to develop literacy with ICT.

One statement that John said during his presentation really stuck with me "The PLN used to be the staff room now it is a global staff room". In the past the only way to share ideas was in the staff room. Today we share ideas, thoughts, strategies and have discussions with people who live in different time zones and continents. PLN is a way to enhance learning through collaboration. This opens the door for many different opportunities. Maple creates a place where I can find relevant information and chat with people who are teaching the same specific outcomes as I am. If I don't know how to approach the outcome or if students are not grasping the concept, I can post my problem on the discussion and wait for help.

In my opinion a PLN is all about improving the craft. Teaching is a never ending learning process and who wants to be stuck in a staff room that's only open during school hours. Today's PLN allow for 24 hour access and unlimited resources at the tips of my fingers

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"- Star Trek



1 comment:

  1. The global staffroom was something that definitely resonated with me too. With access to a world-wide network of experts and educators and relationships with colleagues who know our school and our students it's a great time to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete