Thursday, February 21, 2013

2 Peas in a Pod Cast

Pod Cast Series: Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing


Description
Provides short friendly tips on grammar, punctuation, style and other tips to help make you a successful writer

Why 
I loved this Pod Cast because it gave a mini lessons on the writing process. I have always struggled with writing (I still think the semi colon is an under used punctuation) so this was a great series for me. Since, I was out of high school I have had my brother (who loves to correct my grammar during everyday conversation) proof read my papers. Every time he destroys my writing. He says I have good ideas and make valid points. However, my punctuation and grammar is terrible. When he sends my papers back it is dripping with red. This year I will be applying for jobs and need an awesome cover letter. This series gave me great insight into these areas
  • who VS that
  • How to complete APA format
  • How to use quotes
  • Proper use of verbs and nouns
  • Proper use of punctuation 
  • etc....

Use it in class
I will hopefully be teaching science or math in the future and I would definitely use this pod cast series in my classroom. We are not just content area teachers we are teachers of English and grammar as well. In science class students need to learn how to cite, write research papers and complete lab reports. We expect that our students learn how to do this in an English classroom (or at least the format). However, it is our job as educators to help guide the students on their writing journey.

Future of pod cast
I think it is a great idea to use pod casts in the classroom. There are many great pod casts that aid in the learning process. It also brings different views into the classroom. Eventually I want to record myself teaching the class and then post it to the classroom website. This will help students who could not attend class or act as a review. This encourages student learning and allows them to take more responsibility for their learning

Thank you

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"-Star Trek

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Jen! I will check these out for sure! I could always use grammar and punctuation assistance! Especially my overuse of the exclamation point!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of Grammar podcasts to share in the classroom. In middle and high school, my English teachers handed out a million different grammar worksheets and we basically tried to learn it on our own after brief instruction. This way, students can listen, and are more apt to listen to a podcast than their teachers' voice who they already listen to all day everyday. Good post, Jen!

    ReplyDelete