Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Digital Footprint

We have been learning a lot about our digital footprint and how it can help make or break your career. In today's society most people are online and you can find an enormous amount of information on them.

I can be found on twitter, facebook, my ePortfolio and my blog
Websites were you can find me are:

 George Couros left a comment on my last blog post about whether these websites would help or hinder me from getting a job. I think these websites showcase my ability as an athlete and would be beneficial because I would like to coach. Therefore, my sporting achievements let the board now that I know how to play the sport. It also shows that I am capable leader because of my captain position and video postings on team unity. My twitter, blog and ePortfolio will also help me get a job because they showcase my PLN and work as a teacher. I am beginning to tweet education resources and following people who tweet educational resources. These help me to gain more knowledge and create a larger PLN. My blog and ePortfolio represent my opinions and philosophies on teaching. These also help people get to know who I am as a teacher and individual. My facebook is the only account on my digital footprint that worries me. Ever since my senior year of my undergrad degree I began to be more careful about what I post. I took down picture, changed my name and made my privacy settings more powerful. Since I want to teach in a high school and students of this age adore facebook. I feel that I want to keep my personal life more private. I still need facebook to connect with my friends from the states, my travels and different sporting teams. However, I am more aware about what I post and how it would make me look as a future teacher. My online identity shows that I am capable softball and hockey player. It also showcases my ability in the field of education.

Your digital footprint is important because our society is in the digital age. Today's job interview begins with a search of your name. Which can make or break whether you will be considered. I have heard stories of teachers who post inappropriate pictures, posts and comments which lead to their utter demise. However, this is a two-way street many educators can create a following, inspire others and get their ideas out to the world. Our digital footprint will follow us around for the rest of out life and it can either be a permanent blemish on our face or create a wonderful glow.

Here are some websites I found on protecting our digital footprint
http://www.digitalfamilysummit.com/2012/safety-protecting-your-digital-footprint/
http://www.kidsmart.org.uk/digitalfootprints/
http://blogs.utas.edu.au/student-advice/social-networking-protect-your-digital-footprint-and-maintain-a-professional-identity/

The main thing they said on these websites was think socially (use your social smart). To me this means would I want my parents to see this? This is the question I ask myself when I want to post a new photo on facebook. Another big thing was look at your privacy settings and read over the terms of agreement on things you sign up for. There are many precautions you can take to keep a good digital footprint. Therefore, I feel the biggest challenge for me as an educator will be helping students realize how important their footprint is for their future.

Thank you

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"-Star Trek


1 comment:

  1. Wow Jen, you sure are a talented softball player! Unfortunately I do not have ANY sport related experience other than playing and coaching ringette. I was by far the worst ringette player on my team. Can't remember how many years I played, but I only ever scored two goals. Sad isn't it?
    I sometimes worry what will pop up on my Facebook wall because my "friends" aren't as cautious as I am. You've made me re-think my privacy settings and I thank you for sharing those digital footprint resources.

    ReplyDelete