Thursday, February 28, 2013

Presentastic

WOW is all I can say to every groups powerful presentation. I am so excited to have all of my classmates in my PLN. I know they will generate new ideas, resources and valuable information that will help me in my career.

As the presentations were under way I was pondering my feelings on the good the bad and the ugly of the internet. I believe there are many good aspects the the internet but there are also some bad and some super ugly. However, I think it is our job as educators to guide students in their internet journey. We need to educate them on their responsibilities. My goal as a teacher is to have every student in my class make a positive contribution to the internet. This could be through a blog post, a presentation on slide share or a website. I believe in this parable "give a man a fish he eats for a day but teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime". I think it works the same way with the internet. If we just show them a positive aspect of the internet they will forget it but if we teach them digital responsibility they will have a lifetime of knowledge.
Picture link
Another topic I was pondering during the presentation was on citing resources. I think I need to go back to all my PowerPoints and cite my pictures. Before I took this class I was to lazy to link the my pictures or I just didn't really understand why. Now I understand why, if it was my picture that was being used I would want credit for it. The same goes with what I have taken off the internet. How can I expect my students to cite their resources if I will not do the same. Therefore, I need to change my slides and reinforce the message of giving credit where credit is due. This will help my students in the future and teach them digital responsibility.

Thanks

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"-Star Trek





No comments:

Post a Comment