Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Unstoppable Force of Videos

In today's society videos are a crucial part of communicating and transferring information. Anna retweeted a link to Minute Physics (A Youtube Channel)

http://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics

This is a great channel if you are struggling to find a different way to present physics topics. Physics can be a scary subject for students because it includes math and theory (these things scare most people). This channel and all the videos are created by Henry Reich who has a love for science. He creates the video by drawing on a piece of paper/ whiteboard and then commenting on the drawing. It is a visual and auditory way to provide information. The videos keep students interested and helps explain concepts.

I will be teaching Physics 30S this spring and I plan on incorporating Minute Physics videos into my lesson plans. I am not sure what unit I will be teaching. Therefore, I hope there will be a relevant video for my unit.

Other videos I like to use
Mr Bean in the Chemistry lab
Why

This is a great introduction for lab safety. I like to use it as an activating video to help students get engaged and adds a little comedy to class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aK2CKrdjbE

Music Videos
Why

I recently subbed in a choir class this past December. The teacher had thought his sub was qualified to teach choir (I have no musical talent). Therefore, the lesson plan entailed me to play the piano and conduct the choir. Needless to say this did not go well at all. I had to get a student to play the piano and count the choir in. I finally admitted defeat and went to Youtube videos. I showed them acapella groups, local talent and other videos. It kept them entertained and after class some of the students asked me for the name of the songs and the artist.

Here are some I used
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUFzC6_fp8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNcD34KFhM

My Top Ten Reasons to Use Videos in the Classroom
1. Engaging Students
2. Visual aid
3. Global Connection
4. Different spin on concepts
5. Customize Videos
6. Digital Footprint
7. Activating
8. More access for students
9. Digital Society
10. PLN

Thank you

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"-Star Trek

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the Mr. Bean video. I love that whacky Brit! I think your top ten reasons we should use video is bang on. I don't understand the aversion to using video in the classroom when it can be so useful. So many YouTube videos are perfect for the classroom because they are short and engaging. I also like your physics video. I would be showing those videos all day every day if I ever got "stuck" in a physics class! hahaha
    Seriously though, I can tell that you have a deep commitment to differentiating instruction and learning. Great work Jen!

    ReplyDelete