Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Internet is making us..............?

Is the internet making us smart or stupid?

In my opinion the internet is making us smarter. There are so many applications the internet has to offer that can increase our knowledge. There is unlimited amount of information on a wide variety of topics. The internet has helped me answer movie questions (come on you all know you can't think of the actor's name so you go to IMDB), solved chemistry problems, pinned recipes, home decor and wedding ideas. The internet is expanding our PLN to reach the ends of the world. We are no longer stuck in a school staff room. We can now expand it across the world and get expert opinions brought into the classroom by a click or keystroke.  Students are no longer limited to the teachers opinion or the textbook information. Instead there is a whole world of information.

I have read the article by Nicholas Carr and contemplated his opinion. He compares the people who use digital media and lap tops in a classroom to those who do not. The research behind the theory has these students complete tests. However, in education we are learning that tests may not be the best measure of student success. Those these students may have scored lower on the tests who is to say they didn't comprehend the information. A test is only one form of assessment. I think it is bias to base a theory on one form of assessment. We are taught in education to provide many forms of assessment and bring in differentiated instruction. The same should be said for these studies. I disagree with the fact the internet is holding back our potential. I believe it is helping us in creating a collaborative learning environment. If someone posts a question or idea online it could be answered or create a ripple effect of useful information. Yes, some sites are useless and unreliable but in order to better out educational system we must incorporate technology.

Thank you

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"- Star Trek





3 comments:

  1. I agree that we have access to so much more information and different perspectives... this can only make us smarter and better informed. However, I didn't really like the article about "smarter"... it seemed like the author wanted to defend stupid things on the internet by countering with the fact that there are stupid books out there, too. I will NEVER give up books and think there is room for both books and tech in our learning environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the internet is not making us stupid, it just allows stupid people to show their stupidity to everyone!! I always feel like I need to use my brain more when I use the internet, and that MUST be making me smarter, right? All kidding aside, I think the internet allows people to connect and collaborate, which is an impetus for intellectual growth.
    I will also NEVER give up hard copy books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Jen. I agree with you and think the internet is definitely making us smarter! It is changing us, of course, in the fact that some things are becoming easier(which there is nothing wrong with), and we are easily absorbed by our own personal devices and networks. However, with that being said I think that the benefits outweigh the negative, and it is very comforting to me to know that there are thousands of people out there that are willing to collaborate with me once I start teaching. I think we should be very thankful for the internet and what it is providing for us today! Great post, Jen!

    ReplyDelete