Friday, February 22, 2013

A Spider Web of Courses


During Thursday's presentation I learned a lot about online courses. I learned why they are used, how they are used and how to use the Blackboard program. I have taken many online courses for my Undergraduate degree because of sports. It allowed me to complete my course work online while on road trips. Most of the online classes I took were biology or upper division writing courses. I found them pretty easy and it helped that my fellow teammates were in the same online classes. We would often have road trip study sessions and listen to lectures (The buses we took had WiFi). The assessments for the biology courses were tests taken at the University. Therefore, I would make my test date and go and complete it at the University. The Professors were always available for help and made time to answer my questions online or in person. I have had a very positive experience taking online classes. However, I could not imagine taking math, physics or chemistry online. I am very visual learner and I need the kinethestic interaction in order to achieve success.

Online courses are a great way to offer classes that:
  • May not be available (Either too little interest in school or course was never offered)
  • The students may be away most of the year (Due to sports, music, illness, etc)
  • Do not do well in a classroom setting
I think online classes are a great opportunity for students. However, I do agree with what Brooke said in class that we are losing teaching jobs. Many classes can be offered through ITV which means that there are less jobs. This is a concern for me because I am looking to get a job this fall but the market is shrinking drastically. In the divisions I am looking to work in they are big enough that no classes are offered via ITV. However, in smaller rural divisions there may be only 1 Physics, Chemistry or History job for that whole division. Before there may have been 5 or 6 jobs available. With less and less teachers retiring and more online classes our jobs may be in jeopardy.

I love that they showed us how to get free access to Blackboard. I have never used the program before but I am now registered and ordered all the science and math courses. I am very excited to use it as a resource. It will also be a good resource for when I have to create a sub plan because they can complete one of the lesson online.

Thank you

Jen Falk
"Teach long and prosper"- Star Trek

3 comments:

  1. Jen, I have to agree with you and your worry for the lack of teaching jobs that may be available as technology continues to advance. I, too, blogged about this concern and worry about how much we will be needed in the future. Students are more exposed to learning resources than ever before, and while I understand we are still needed to guide them, I can't help but worry with all that is available today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lack of teaching jobs also scared me a little bit too. It is scary to think that the job market may be shrinking because a course could be taught online. It makes sense in a school or division that has low enrollment and a low budget, but it is still a concern and a cause for worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is a great teaching resource, I just wish they had some more Middle Years and Early Years content!

    I also agree with the lack of teaching jobs. So often, in many different professions, is the fear that technology can act as a substitute. Like you said Jen our jobs(maybe not now, but definitely in the future) may be in jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete